Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Farewell Party at the Trappist

It has been long overdo, but my first trip to The Trappist was worth the wait.  For those of you not familiar with this place, it is a Belgian and Specialty beer bar in Oakland.  I really didn't understand the hoopla over this place when it opened, but soon after being there, my eyes were opened. 

After a few months of planning my friends and I finally found a day to visit the Trappist.  Luckily for me it was five days prior to my departure to my new place of residence, Seattle.  So to celebrate my relocation, we went and drank and we had a blast.  The Trappist started as a small bar, not much bigger than a closet.  A couple years later they have the original (front) bar, and they have the back bar now as well. Both bars have different beers on tap, but bottles are available at both.  I was informed from my friend that all beers must be refrigerated at all times to ensure freshness.  Now the question is, do they know beer?  I have to say I was blown away by the selection, things I have never seen or heard of before and they were great.  I didn't get to take any pictures, it was too much fun drinking the beer and talking to my friends.  I was surprised because I expected to be overwhelmed by Belgian beers, but was happy to see plenty of other styles that were simply amazing. 

A couple beers that stood out were the Mikkeller  Black Hole an Imperial Stout that comes in at 13.1%.  A huge beer that just hits you in all the right places, huge roasted malt, nice hop balance and the alcohol is hidden beautifully behind it all.   Staying on the dark beer tract I found an amazing beer by De Molen called Stout and Hop.  This is stout has an amazing hop aroma, much like a great IPA.  It starts out with great malt and chocolate notes and finishes with great hop bitterness.  I loved this beer, it was the best of both worlds, as a stout and IPA lover. 

What a fantastic night of great beer and great friends.  Do yourself a favor and take a trip, have a glass of some great impossible to find beers.  What an amazing place and can't wait to go back and enjoy another glass. 

As a side note, there is plenty more beer to write about for this beer blogger.  I am excited to be in Seattle, an incredible place for beer.  With plenty of breweries, bars and pubs, this place has plenty of things to cover and hopefully you will join me while I taste all that Seattle has to offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment